Admitted to Practice
United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2011
United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee, 2011
Illinois, 2010 (currently on inactive status)
United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 2012
Illinois Bar Association
Memphis Bar Association
American Bar Association
Gary Peeples concentrates his practice in labor and employment law. His labor and employment law practice includes advising employers on compliance with federal and state laws and defending employers in federal and state courts.
In his role as an advisor, Gary regularly helps employers with issues pertaining to the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Equal Pay Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Tennessee Human Rights Act, Title VII, and Title IX, among others. Gary also has experience conducting internal investigations and helping employers draft and enforce non-competition agreements.
In his role as a litigator, Gary represents employers when they are sued for alleged labor and employment law violations. He has significant experience at every phase of litigation, including first-chair jury trial experience and oral argument before the Sixth Circuit. Gary has written and argued numerous successful dispositive motions. He is equally comfortable in federal and state courts.
Beyond his labor and employment law practice, Gary frequently represents businesses (as plaintiffs and defendants) in commercial litigation. His business litigation experience includes commercial lease disputes, distributorship agreements, fraud cases involving the assigned-risk market for workers’ compensation insurance, intellectual property disputes, putative class actions under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act and other federal statutes, and title insurance matters.
Gary has experience at the appellate level, too. In addition to successfully arguing a case before the Sixth Circuit, Gary has written several appellate briefs. Gary also recently wrote a merits-stage amicus brief in a Supreme Court case (2018-19 Term).
Before joining Burch, Porter & Johnson, Gary worked as an associate in the labor and employment law group of a global law firm. He also served as a law clerk for the Honorable Jon P. McCalla (United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee) and the Honorable Ronald Lee Gilman (United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit).
Outside of work, Gary enjoys playing basketball, reading non-fiction, and staying involved in charter school issues. He considers Memphis to be his adopted home.
- Vanderbilt University (J.D., 2010); Order of the Coif; Articles Editor, Vanderbilt Law Review
- University of Illinois (M.S., 2006)
- University of Illinois (B.A., 2005)
Professional Honors and Activities
- Member, Tennessee Bar Association Leadership Law Class of 2018
- Barrister Member, Leo Bearman Sr. American Inn of Court
- Named a Super Lawyer Rising Star in Employment Litigation: Defense (2016-17, 2017-18)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Ronald Lee Gilman, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Jon P. McCalla, United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- Order of the Coif (top 10% of law school class)
- Articles Editor, Vanderbilt Law Review
Publications and Presentations of Note
- Author, "Politics in the Workplace - Does the First Amendment Apply at the Office?," L & E Client News, February 2019
- Author, "What's Happening to the Affordable Care Act After the Texas District Court Decision?," L & E Client News, February 2019
- Panelist, Memphis Bar Association CLE, "Let Them Eat Cake: A Supreme Court Update," August 2018
- Author, "Mental Health in the Workplace - Is There an Effective Prescription for Employers?," HR Professionals Magazine, (March 2018)
- Author, "Judge Richard Posner’s Retirement and His Influence on Labor and Employment Law," HR Professionals Magazine, (October 2017)
- Panelist, Bench Bar Conference, "Employment Law in the Age of Trump," July 2017
- Author, "The Role of Human Resources in Mergers and Acquisitions," HR Professionals Magazine, (June 2017)
- Author, "Google V. Government: "Don't Be Evil" Meets "Give Us Your Employee Data" HR Professionals Magazine, (February 2017)
- Author, "House of Representatives Votes to Delay the Implementation of the Department of Labor's New Overtime Rule," Burch, Porter & Johnson Client Alert, (October 2016)
- Panelist, Memphis Bar Association CLE, "Where to Start with Startups: Legal Hurdles Faced by Emerging Companies," October 2016
- Panelist, Bench Bar Conference, "Lawyers Behaving Badly Online," September 2016
- Author, "Warning! Millennial Recruiting May Lead to Disparate-Impact Claims Under the ADEA," HR Professionals Magazine, (June 2016)
- Author, "New Law Gives Employers an Easier Path in to Federal Court in Trade Secrets Cases," Burch, Porter & Johnson Client Alert, (May 2016)
- Author, "Short-Term Workers, Long-Term Effects," HR Professionals Magazine, (December 2015)
- Panelist, Greater Memphis Chamber 2015 HR Legal Summit, "Hot Topics: The Employment Laws You Need to Know Now" segment, October 2015
- Author, "Disparate Impact Discrimination 101," HR Professionals Magazine (January 2015)
- Author, "Tennessee Legislative Update: Significant Changes Favor Employers," HR Professionals Magazine (August 2014)