Admitted to Practice
United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee, 2012
United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2012
Federal Bar Association
American Bar Association
Tennessee Bar Association
Memphis Bar Association
Chas Higgins focuses his practice on commercial & business litigation, personal injury and medical malpractice litigation, and on white collar & criminal investigations. Mr. Higgins has successfully tried cases in both federal and state courts and represented clients before local government boards.
Before joining Burch, Porter & Johnson, Mr. Higgins served as a judicial law clerk to Chief Judge Jon P. McCalla of the United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee. Prior to attending law school, Mr. Higgins was a teacher and high school basketball coach in Marianna, Arkansas, through Teach for America.
- In 2018, Mr. Higgins won a jury verdict in Colorado State Court for a local Memphis business in a breach of contract case.
- In 2015, Mr. Higgins and Gary Peeples won a jury verdict against a local nursing home.
- In 2015, Mr. Higgins successfully argued before the Tennessee Court of Appeals in a medical malpractice case, Osunde v. Delta Medical Center, 505 S.W.3d 875 (Tenn. Ct. App. 2016).
- In 2014, Mr. Higgins and Jef Feibelman successfully defended an election contest on behalf of a local school board member, Whalum v. Shelby County Election Comm., 2014 WL 4919601 (Tenn. Ct. App. 2014).
- University of Minnesota Law School (J.D., 2011), magna cum laude; Order of the Coif; Managing Editor, Minnesota Law Review (2010 – 2011)
- Loyola University Chicago (B.A., 2005), summa cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
Professional Honors and Activities
- Recognized in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in the areas of Commercial Litigation, Criminal Defense: White-Collar, and Personal Injury LItigation - Plaintiffs (2021)
- Named to the Super Lawyers Mid-South Rising Stars list in the Personal Injury General: Plaintiff area (2016-2018)
- Associate Member, Leo Bearman, Sr. Chapter of American Inns of Court (2013-2016)
- Law Clerk, Minnesota Attorney General's Office (2009–2010)
- Recipient, Dorothy O. Lareau Best Brief Award (2009)
Publications and Presentations of Note
- Presenter, “Media Ethics,” for Greater Memphis Paralegal Association (2018)
- Presenter, “Hot Topics in Health Care Litigation Cases,” for TAM Medical Malpractice Conference, Nashville (2017)
- Trustee, William R. Moore College of Technology (2014-present)
- Vice Chair, Frayser Community Schools / MLK, Jr. Preparatory High School (2013-2017)
- Member, Board of Directors, Exceptional Foundation of West Tennessee (2013-2018)
- Member, Board of Directors, Memphis Challenge (2013-2017)
- Member, University of Minnesota Environmental Sustainability Clinic (2010–2011)
- Operational Director, Delta Youth Empowerment Program (2007–2008)