Admitted to Practice
United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee, 2012
United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2019
National Bar Association, Ben F. Jones Chapter
American Bar Association
Tennessee Bar Association
Memphis Bar Association
Melisa Moore has extensive litigation experience representing municipalities, insureds, and corporations in complex matters involving commercial and business litigation, workers’ compensation, premises liability, toxic torts, personal injury, landlord tenant litigation, civil rights litigation, and subrogation.
Ms. Moore’s practice also includes providing advice and counsel to insurers on liability and exposure issues on a variety of general liability and commercial claims. Ms. Moore has experience in both state and federal court in all stages of litigation, including pre-suit investigations and mediation.
Before joining the firm as an associate in 2011, Ms. Moore practiced law at a regional insurance defense firm in Memphis. She has successfully defended and resolved hundreds of cases for her clients.
Ms. Moore is a native Memphian and serves on numerous non-profit boards, including serving as a Big Sister in Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Mid-South.
- Assisted with conducting internal investigation into HR legal issues for local school district.
- Represented Fortune 500 lighting corporation in complex breach of warranty third-party action involving multiple defendants in Shelby County Circuit Court.
- Granted summary judgment on behalf of municipality in high-profile civil rights litigation. (Co-Counsel)
- Granted partial summary judgment on behalf of municipality in an employment discrimination and civil rights case (Co-Counsel)
- Granted summary judgment on behalf of municipality in a civil rights wrongful incarceration matter. (Co-Counsel)
- Obtained dismissal of a high-profile defamation lawsuit in United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee.
- Litigated and prepared an auto negligence case for a two-day jury trial in Shelby County Circuit Court.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of the Defendant in an automobile negligence case in Shelby County Circuit Court.
- Defended crane company in a personal injury action filed by the family of an injured worker who sustained a traumatic brain injury. After months of extensive preparation for a 2-3 week jury trial in West Tennessee, the case reached a confidential settlement on the eve of trial. (Co-Counsel)
- Successfully obtained dismissal for failure to prosecute in a toxic tort case on behalf of corporate defendant. (Co-Counsel)
- Obtained a defense verdict in a bench trial in an automobile negligence case.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a bench trial in an automobile negligence case involving multiple defendants.
- University of Memphis (J.D., 2009), cum laude; Staff Member, University of Memphis Law Review
- University of Tennessee at Martin (B.A., 2006), summa cum laude
Professional Honors and Activities
- Recognized in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in the areas of Commercial Litigation and Insurance Law (2021)
- Leadership Memphis, Executive Program (Class of 2019)
- Named a Mid-South Rising Star, Super Lawyers (2016-2019)
- Memphis Bar Association, Nominating Committee (2018)
- Top 100 Civil Defense Litigators in Tennessee – 2018 Nominee
- Top 40 Under 40, Memphis Business Journal (2014)
- Memphis Bar Association, Trial Academy (2013)
- Memphis Bar Association, Leadership Forum (Class of 2013)
- Tennessee Association for Justice Member (2010 – present)
- Attorney Mentor, Ben Hooks Chapter, National Bar Association (2010 - present)
- CALI Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy
- Who’s Who Among America’s College Students
- Staff Member, University of Memphis Law Review
- Recipient, Cecil C. Humphreys Fellowship
- Quarter Finalist, Freshman Moot Court
- Recipient,Tennessee Board of Regents Fellowship
- Participant, Howard Law School Study Abroad Program, Cape Town, South Africa
- Co-Chair, Memphis Bar Association, Summer Law Intern Program (2021)
- University of Memphis Professional Development Program Mentor (2019-2020)
- University of Memphis Bar Exam Mentor (Summer 2019)
- Seeding Success Board of Directors (2019-present)
- Memphis Merit Academy Board of Directors – Chair of Governance Committee (2017–present)
- F.F.U.N. Freedom From Unnecessary Negatives Board of Directors –Secretary (2016–present)
- Memphis Bar Association, Summer Law Intern Program Committee (2011–present)
- Board of Directors, Community Legal Center (2013-2017)
- Mentor and Big Sister, Big Brothers, Big Sisters of the Mid-South (2012-present)
- Former Mentor, Grizzlies Academy Mentoring Program for Veritas Charter School (2011-2015)