Admitted to Practice
United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee, 2017
United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2018
Memphis Bar Association
Tennessee Bar Association
Federal Bar Association
Sarah (Smith) Stuart’s practice focuses on commercial and business litigation and labor and employment law.
Prior to joining Burch, Porter & Johnson, Sarah served as a law clerk to both the Honorable Bernice B. Donald (United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit) and the Honorable Sheryl H. Lipman (United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee). Sarah practices regularly in both state and federal court.
Sarah is a native of Texas and adopted Memphis as her home after attending Rhodes College. In addition to her legal practice, Sarah is actively involved in the Memphis non-profit community.
- Participated as second chair in a $2M insurance coverage bench trial, resulting in a judgment resolving all claims in favor of client.
- Assisted in internal investigations for two healthcare organizations regarding claims such as workplace misconduct, bullying, and harassment.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of client in lawsuit alleging premises liability regarding personal injury claim.
- Obtained a favorable judgment in a bench trial regarding employment dispute for educational client.
- The University of Memphis, Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law (J.D., 2016), magna cum laude; Managing Editor, University of Memphis Law Review
- Rhodes College (B.A., 2013), cum laude
Professional Honors and Activities
- Rodney K. Smith Award for Excellence in Public Service (2016)
- CALI Award for Excellence in Jurisprudence, Intellectual Property, and Antitrust
- Dean’s Award for Excellence, Best Brief and Best Oral Advocate, Legal Methods
- Managing Editor, Vol. 46 University of Memphis Law Review
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Sheryl H. Lipman, United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee (2016-2017)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Bernice B. Donald, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit (2017-2018)
Publications and Presentations of Note
- Co-presenter, “Accommodation in the Workplace,” Memphis Bar Association Labor and Employment Seminar (December 2019)
- Presenter, “Keeping up with the Latest Sixth Circuit Trends,” Memphis Bar Association Corporate Counsel Seminar (November 2019)
- Presenter, “A Sixth Circuit Update: Trends of a Changing Court,” Memphis Bar Association Buy-the-Hour Seminar (July 2019)
- Regular contributor, BPJ Your Business & the Law: A Labor & Employment Newsletter (Monthly newsletters can be found by going to www.bpjlaw.com/firm/newsletters)
- Author, "Your Employee Gets Arrested: Now What?" BPJ Labor & Employment Newsletter, (April 2019)
- Author, "Responding to a Data Breach," BPJ Labor & Employment Newsletter, (February 2019)
- Author, “A Preview of Upcoming Supreme Court Workplace Issues,” HR Professionals Magazine, (November 2018)
- Author, “Remembering Dr. King’s Last Legal Battle,” JUDICATURE Vol. 102 No. 2 (Summer 2018)
- Author, Note, No Safe Harbors: Examining the Shift from Voluntary Treatment Option to Criminalization of Maternal Drug Abuse in Tennessee, 46 U. MEM. L. REV. 203 (2015)
- Author, Case Comment, Balancing the Focus on Foreseeability: Cullum v. McCool & Tennessee’s Test for Business Liability for Third Party Acts, 45 U. MEM. L. REV. (2015)
- Board Member, Just City (2019-present)