Admitted to Practice
United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee, 2010
American Bar Association
Tennessee Bar Association
Memphis Bar Association
Tannera Gibson is a native Memphian whose practice focuses on employment law, municipal law, healthcare liability, and commercial and business litigation. She received a B.S. in Computer Science from the University of Memphis prior to graduating from the University Of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School Of Law in 2008.
Ms. Gibson has extensive trial experience and significant experience in conducting investigations and presiding over administrative matters. She is currently a member of the Board of Directors of the Memphis Bar Association, is an active member of the community, and maintains a solid pro bono practice.
- Won summary judgment on behalf of defendant municipality in high-exposure action alleging civil rights violations. (Lead Counsel)
- Won summary judgment on behalf of defendant municipality in high-exposure, high-profile action alleging civil rights violations incident to an officer-involved shooting. (Lead Counsel)
- Counseled 8,000-employee organization in the successful termination of key executive employees. Obtained release of all claims from multiple executives. Subsequently provided advice and counsel regarding personnel restructuring across multiple departments. (Lead Counsel)
- Successfully defeated summary judgment in high-exposure commercial litigation action involving claims for breach of contract and specific performance. (Lead Counsel)
- Provided in-house training for proper legal compliance and risk management to management personnel of development facility. (Lead Counsel)
- Successfully defeated claims by disgruntled employee alleging wrongful termination and fraud at the pleadings stage.
- Obtained confidential settlement on behalf of wrongfully terminated employee who complained of unlawful conduct.
- Successfully resolved a lawsuit that dealt with one of the first sexual orientation claims pursued under Title VII within the 6th Circuit since the Supreme Court’s ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges.
- In January, 2013 Ms. Gibson and Les Jones represented a plaintiff in obtaining a verdict in a medical malpractice case in Shelby County for more than $1.3 million dollars. Martin v. Campbell Clinic.
- In February, 2015 Ms. Gibson, David Goodman and Les Jones represented a plaintiff in obtaining a verdict in a medical malpractice case in Shelby County for $750,000.00. Smith v. UTMG.
- Successfully revised and instituted comprehensive employment practices policy and manual on behalf of large-scale production company.
- University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law (J.D., 2008)
- University of Memphis (B.S., Computer Science, 2003)
Professional Honors and Activities
- Executive Committee Member, Board of Directors for the Memphis Bar Association, (2018-present)
- Tennessee Bar Association Leadership Law Program, (2019)
- Member, Board of Directors for the Memphis Bar Association (2017-present)
- Memphis Bar Association, Access to Justice Committee (2017-present)
- Named in Best Lawyers® for Employment Law-Management in the Memphis area (2019)
- Lawyers Journal Club (2018-present)
- National Civil Rights Museum, Night at the Lorraine, Planning Committee (2018-present)
- Leadership Memphis, Executive Program (2015-2016)
- Named as one of Memphis Business Journal’s Top 40 Under 40 (2015)
- Alumni Board, University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law (2014-present)
- Memphis Bar Association, Summer Law Intern Program Committee (2013-present)
- Pro Bono Award, Memphis Bar Association Access to Justice Committee (2011)
- Outstanding Associate Award, Leo Bearman, Sr. Chapter of American Inns of Court (2011-2012)
- CALI Excellence Award in Child and Family Litigation Clinic
- Recipient, Cecil C. Humphreys Law Fellowship
- Adjunct Professor, “Legal Methods,” University of Memphis School of Law (2012- 2014; 2015-present)
- Leo Bearman Sr. Chapter of American Inns of Court, Associate Member (2010- 2013)
- Leo Bearman Sr. Chapter of American Inns of Court, Pupil (2007-2008)
- Fundraising Chair, Black Law Students Association (2007- 2008)
- Co-Founder, Kenneth Maurice Cox Ceremony, Black Law Students Association
- Dean's Award for Excellence: Best Appellate Brief, Legal Methods
Publications and Presentations of Note
- Presenter, Women in Business Seminar, "Getting to the Top," (February 2018)
- Presenter, "Social Media in the Internet Age," Burch, Porter & Johnson Seminar (November 2017)
- Author, "Treading the Muddy Waters of the ADAAA," HR Professionals Magazine (December 2016)
- Presenter, Memphis Bar Association, "Opening Statements," (July 2015)
- Author, "Not-so-Nice Guys Don't Always Finish Last: Restrictions on Employer Civility Rules," HR Professionals Magazine (April 2014)
- Presenter, Tennessee Bar Association, Federal Practice Seminar, "Strategies to Avoid Waiver of the Attorney-Client Privilege," (July 2013)
- Co-author, with Lisa Krupicka, "Exploding the Myths about Non-Compete Agreements," HR Professionals Magazine (November 2012)
- Presenter, "How to Do Good When You Don't Have A Clue," Memphis Bar Association Bench Bar Conference (May 2012)
- Presenter, "Employment Issues in Education," Memphis Bar Association Labor & Employment Section (March 2012)
- Presenter, "What Lies Beneath, The EEOC's Position on Criminal Background Checks," Burch Porter & Johnson Employment Law Seminar (January 2012)
- Author, “Not In My Neighborhood: Memphis and the Battle To Preserve Overton Park,” 41 U. Mem. L. Rev. 725 (Summer 2011)
- Presenter, "Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act," Burch Porter & Johnson Employment Law Seminar (October 2010)
- Author, "Out of the Dark: The Impact of Ontario v. Quon on Workplace Privacy," BPJ Employment Law Newsletter (Summer 2010)
- Author, "The High Cost of Free Labor: The Ramifications of Unpaid Internships," BPJ Employment Law Newsletter (Summer 2010)
- Leadership Memphis, Executive Program Member (2015-present)
- Board of Commissioners, Shelby County Health, Education, and Housing Facility Board (2013-present)
- Board of Directors, Moving Ahead School of Scholars (2012- present)
- Board of Commissioners, Shelby County Housing Authority (2011- present)
- Board of Directors, Citizens for Inner City Progress (2009 - present)