Education, Charitable, and Not-for-Profit Organizations
The attorneys in our Education, Charitable, and Not-for-Profit Practice Group have extensive experience advising both start-up and existing organizations on governance and operational matters, obtaining tax-exemption from the Internal Revenue Service, and on related state and local matters. In addition, our firm advises clients involved in joint ventures between tax-exempt and for-profit organizations.
How We Can Help Your Organization
While charitable organizations routinely confront legal issues common to all types of business, many matters are unique to non-profits. The practice group has a particular focus on the issues which are of specific concern to charitable, education, and not-for-profit organizations, such as:
- Structuring articles of incorporation, bylaws and other governance documents.
- Securing and maintaining tax-exempt status.
- Providing advice regarding corporate procedures and governance, and operation of the board of directors.
- Preparing and reviewing conflict of interest policies.
- Addressing employment and employee benefit matters.
- Reviewing leases and other contracts.
- Assisting with respect to tax-exempt financing.
- Advising regarding Internet and intellectual property matters.
- Addressing software licensing, copyright, trademark, patent and computer law issues.
- Working with institutions to implement creative planned giving strategies, such as charitable gift annuity programs, donor advised funds and split-interest trusts.
- Assisting organizations with tax reporting requirements, appropriate means to obtain favorable tax treatment and to avoid unfavorable tax consequences, and ongoing compliance with tax and charitable organization laws.
- Securing rulings and determinations from the IRS.
- Structuring affiliated organizations and other complex structures, including for-profit subsidiaries, for-profit/not-for-profit ventures and unrelated business taxable income planning.
- Planning and implementing mergers, liquidations and other strategic restructurings.
- Advising on a full range of employment law issues, from establishing workplace regulations to solving human resource issues of all types.
Burch, Porter & Johnson Knows How to Help
Our law group has the necessary experience that allows us to help educational institutions, charities, and not-for-profit organziations. We’ll guide you every step of the way, and stand by your side as a legal ally. If you’d like to learn more about what we can do for you, reach out and speak to one of our knowledgable attorneys today.