Admitted to Practice
American Bar Association
Tennessee Bar Association
Memphis Bar Association
Taylor Cates practices in the field of complex litigation. He handles business disputes, real property disputes, and personal injury matters, in state court, federal court, and in arbitration. Over the years, he has handled a number of matters in the field of disaster restoration and construction litigation all over the country. He also represents clients in intellectual property matters, including trademark and copyright infringement litigation and the protection of intellectual property rights.
He has been a frequent speaker on intellectual property matters. He also regularly speaks to industry groups in the field of disaster restoration about best practices to maximize collection and avoid litigation.
Mr. Cates serves as an Assistant Prosecutor for the City of Germantown, Tennessee, and sits as the Municipal Judge for the newly established City Court for Lakeland, Tennessee.
- Vanderbilt University School of Law (J.D., 1999)
- University of Virginia (B.A., 1996)
Professional Honors and Activities
- Selected to the Mid-South Rising Stars list in the area of Business Litigation (2010-2014)
- Tennessee Bar Association Leadership Law program (2009)
- Leo Bearman, Sr. Chapter of American Inn of Court (2006- 2008)
- Memphis Bar Association Leadership Forum (2005- 2006)
Publications and Presentations of Note
- Co-author, “Tennessee Survey of Privacy and Related Torts Against the Media,” Libel Defense Resource Center (1994, updated annually)
- Presenter, “Current Issues, Trends and Developments in Intellectual Property,” National Business Institute (2005)
- Board of Directors; Memphis Interfaith Hospitality Network, 2005 to present