Admitted to Practice
American Bar Association
Tennessee Bar Association
Memphis Bar Association
Josh Lawhead’s practice is focused on real estate transactions and commercial leases. He frequently represents clients, including local municipalities, in the acquisition, development, and disposition of commercial real estate.
Mr. Lawhead also has experience forming condominium regimes, and negotiating construction contracts and related agreements. He has extensive experience representing landlords and tenants in the negotiation of industrial, office and retail leases. His work on behalf of his bank clients includes commercial real estate and asset-based loans. In addition, Mr. Lawhead’s municipal finance and tax incentive practice includes representation of a local industrial development board.
Mr. Lawhead joined Burch Porter in 2001, and has been a Member of the firm since 2005. He has previously served as a member of the firm’s Management Committee and as Chair of the Recruiting Committee.
- University of Tennessee (J.D., 1998)
- University of Georgia (B.B.A., 1995)
Professional Honors and Activities
- Named to the Best Lawyers® in America list in the area of Real Estate (2016-2020)
- Named to the Mid-South Rising Stars list in the area of Real Estate (2008-2012)
- Member, Memphis Bar Association Leadership Forum (2005)
Publications and Presentations of Note
- Presenter, "Negotiating Commercial Leases in a Down Economy," Sterling Education Services (September 2009)
- Presenter, "Commercial Leases," Real Property Institute Series (March 2005 and June 2007)
- Presenter, "Solving Real Estate Title Problems in Tennessee," Half Moon Seminars (March 2005)
- Member, Board of Directors, Snowden School Foundation (2010-present)